Friday, August 10, 2007

Sadie and the Cicada

Tonight I went outside with Sadie around, oh, 9 o’clock, and it was over 90 degrees outside. At 9 o’clock?! The last few days have been the hottest that I can remember. The heat index has been like 110 during the day. Crazy hot.
Well, while we were outside, Sadie discovered a cicada. You know…those ginormous bugs that have crazy fast wings and are known for the “songs” they sing out in the night. Anyways, Sadie was torturing the poor thing… smelling it, trying to put it in her mouth, and once, she even tried to step on it. Anytime she touched it, it would yelp out a loud chirp, and Sadie would jump back a few feet (me too), her ears perked in curiosity. And just for the record, I tried to pull her away from it, but pulling my dog away from any type of wildlife that she discovers is like trying to pull a post out of concrete (not possible). So the huge bug finally got away from her by flying towards our house, with its loud buzzing noise coming in my direction making me duck for cover. The stupid thing ended up on the side of our house after bouncing off the ground, the wall, and back again, like a ball in a pinball machine (I always feel sorry for bugs that do that). So of course, Sadie could not get over the fact that the biggest bug on the planet was hanging out on the side of “her” house, just a little too high on the wall for her to reach.

If you look closely, you can see the cicada on the brick. Yuck!

So the only other drama that occured with Sadie and the cicada was when Sadie leaped up as high as she could off the top step to reach the bug and then fell about 4 feet down to the ground. But, don’t worry…it didn’t phase her (or the bug). I happened to catch it on video (but the footage is pretty horrible b/c it was so dark and our dog is so black and I wasn’t expecting her to leap in the air like that!).So Dewa and Arie moved to Iowa today, so I’m going to go feel sorry for myself now as I drift off to sleep….

Meet the Greenleafs

No comments: